A stress free family session is my goal for you today! I know firsthand how overwhelming it can be preparing for a holiday portrait session. So I am sharing 6 tips on how to make your next family photo experience a stress free one.
Family photos are truly timeless and such a great keepsake for future generations. And, getting the family together to take those perfect holiday portraits can turn into chaos if not approached correctly.
There is usually a lot more to consider when it comes to a stress free family session since there are members of all ages, which means that there is some extra coordination involved. Below are some family photoshoot ideas and tips to keep you and your loved ones calm and smiling the whole way through.
6 Tips for a Stress Free Family Session
- Timing is everything. If you have younger children involved in the shoot, try and arrange the photoshoot at a time when they would be well rested. A rested child makes for happy photos. On that note, make sure that all family members have gotten enough sleep the night before as this helps with the fun and relaxation aspects of the session.
- Dos and don’ts of bribery. Get your family excited about the photoshoot instead of offering a reward in return for their cooperation. This tends to lead to forced smiles and an irritated bunch of people. If you do have small children coming along it’s not a bad idea to give your photographer some bribery options in the form of toys or small food items to make those difficult moments a little easier.
- Relinquish control. As much as you’ll want to direct your children on where to stand, how to smile and how to pose, it’s best to leave that to your photographer as we know what works best. Not having this pressure will also make you feel more relaxed.
- It’s not just about the posing. The best photos happen when you’re having fun so joke and play with your children, hold your partner’s hand and just let the moments happen.
- Plan ahead. Discuss all of your requirements with your photographer beforehand so that the family photo session can just flow. Let your photographer know if you want specific pictures taken.
- Keep those sugar levels up. If everyone is well fed, the photoshoot will also run a lot smoother. It’s also not a bad idea to take a few snacks and some water along for those who might need it.
If you’re thinking about booking a holiday mini session before Christmas gets here, I still have 4 mini session spots remaining! Click HERE to get the details and book your session!
Enjoy capturing your memories!